Mesa to Pitt 2015

Mesa to Pitt 2015
Mesa to OBX

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Little Havana to Homestead Fla. 56.75 miles in 4:45 - Dec 20

After checking out a map, I found a street that would keep me from backtracking thru downtown Miami, with all the traffic that probably would be there . I left the motel at about 9:30, and headed due south, which kept me west of downtown, and took me thru an Oriental section, then pretty much into prosperous suburbs, then into Coral Gables. This place can hold its own with any place I have been in Florida that just oozed $$$$$$$. The road I was on (old cutler road) was lined with Banyon trees, which I have only seen in Hawaii. The road was shaded for miles by these trees and other types of tropical vegetation. There were no shoulders on this twisty path, but there was a multi use path that was of very little use to me because the large root systems of the Banyon trees had buckled the asphalt path and travel was very slow. Dodging these roots and joggers made for slow going for a while.

Banyon trees

Sure was fun riding thru here...... NOT!

My first coconut trees!!!

 Finally good road appeared into Cutler Bay Fla. There, I found a bike shop, stopped in, and they gave me a less traveled route off of Rt.1, and I decided to give it a try, even though I really wasn't sure where I was going. With a few questions for other bikers on the route, I found my way to Homestead, where I was to meet up with Pam in the evening. She said she left Wachula and would be in town. Between 6 and 7.

City or county park/beach


No explanation needed!  Toto, we aren't in Pittsburgh any more!!


No comments:

Post a Comment