Mesa to Pitt 2015

Mesa to Pitt 2015
Mesa to OBX

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Key Largo to Homestead (the alternate route) Jan 6

37.3 miles in 2:20. Somewhere along the line someone told me to come out of the Keys on Card Sound Road instead of Rt. 1, which is how I went in. What a mistake! I rode through Crocodile Lake national wildlife preserve, and it was BORING. Tree lined on both sides so you could see nothing, but trees, and absolutely the dirtiest, most littered road I have ever ridden on. Disgusting. Tires, toilets, water heaters, and the generic 8 million beer cans. The only interesting part was the toll bridge off the Keys, which cost me nothing, and cars only 50 cents. There was a plywood sign telling me I was in the historic fishing village of Card Sound. The town consisted of a toll booth, a marina, and a bar called Alabama Jacks, which was absolutely rockin on a Sunday at noon.
There were no shoulders on the road for the entire trip, but traffic wasn't bad. Obviously because there was no need to ever drive that road unless you needed to dump garbage.
I met Pam in BJ's parking lot, we ate ate Sonny's BBQ (great BBQ) and shopped at Publix for groceries for a long trip into the isolated Everglades.

No comments:

Post a Comment