Mesa to Pitt 2015

Mesa to Pitt 2015
Mesa to OBX

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

April 7 Here we go again!

OApril 6...57.19 in 4:33...ascent 489 ft....after a nice winter in the valley of the sun, which included our normal workamper stint (Pam worked over forty hrs a week being the best bartender they've ever had, and I did 24 hrs a week running the kitchen), it's time to ride another adventure, this time, hopefully to the outer banks of North Carolina. I rode some during the winter, but after five pulled muscles playing softball, ( hey....we won the league championship in the over 50 division!) and 16 days vending beer at the Oakland A's and Chicago Cubs spring training, I'm not in the best of shape to do this. But that's not gonna stop me. I should be in shape by the time I get there.
I picked the hottest day of the year to start, and I was ready to hit the pool at the days Inn in Eloy by three in the afternoon when I pulled in. God blessed me with a northerly wind as I headed south , and stopped halfway between Mesa and Tucson. The first twenty miles were on bike trails as I left the valley through Chandler. I followed a canal (or two) all the way to the Gila Indian reservation, where things got desolate. I climbed one five mile mini pass, as it was really only me, some scenic stand alone mountains, mesquite trees and saguaro cacti as I rolled along AZ 87 and 187. I basically paralleled Interstate 10, passed through the town of casa grande, ate at a subway, and headed out for one more hour to Eloy. There was no water in my room, and while they did repairs, I hit the pool and ate at the Iron Skillet at the truck stop across the street.
Pam is not with me, as this is solo run. She has a few more days of work,  then will head to Pittsburgh on a northerly route to visit with her father and Buddy for a while.
My trip from Phoenix to Pittsburgh last year had perfect weather and great luck, so this year I expect the law of averages to catch up to me. There is no date for arrival that I must adhere to, and I am taking a totally new route that I haven't done on the first three cross country rides. So I hope u stay tuned, and please feel free to  comment on the blog, so I know  who's out there!




Temperature in Casa Grande

3 comments:

  1. Your neighbor CyndiApril 8, 2016 at 12:33 AM

    Good to see you back on here. I missed reading about your travels all winter.

    ReplyDelete