Mesa to Pitt 2015

Mesa to Pitt 2015
Mesa to OBX

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Floresville to San Antonio March 12

Pinata stand along the road


41 miles in 3:13. What a difference a day makes! The wind switched and is now blowing out of the south. Unfortunately, I only had a forty mile ride to our destination. San Antonio has been planned as a stop of some length since the beginning. There is a lot to do here, and we are going to spend some time, before the 500 some mile trip to El Paso. I slept in a little this morning, and started with the wind at my back and beautiful temps in the low 70's. US 181 was nice, but I was only on it for fifteen miles, until I took Tx spur 122 into San Antonio itself. I was on this road with very little shoulder and less traffic, for about ten miles until I hit Tx loop 13, which was a busy road with all the restaurants, big box stores, and car dealers. Traffic wasn't terrible, but there was lots of turning cars, and no shoulder. After about ten miles of traffic, things thinned out, and I was soon traveling right past Lackland Air Force base, with all the big, BIG, jets and checkpoints all around.

Entrance to Lackland Air Force Base

Stealth fighters??


As I passed that area, I turned onto the road where our campground was, and it was quite residential, until I crested a hill, and saw the tops of several roller coasters. It turns out that we are within spittin distance of Sea World of San Antonio. I didn't even know they had a Sea World.
I mentioned that I crested a hill before seeing the roller coasters. Well it turns out that San Antonio is quite a hilly place, and I guess it's the beginning of what they call hill country. The map shows mountain peaks of 6 000-8000 feet that I'm going to be riding through on the way to El Paso. I guess I had better get in shape! San Antonio is about 700 feet above sea level, which is 700 feet higher than most of my 4500 miles of pedaling so far.
We checked into the campground, lounged at the pool for a while, and actually got a little sunburn. We then splurged and had dinner at a Longhorn Steakhouse, and spent the evening planning our itinerary for San Antonio.
On another totally unrelated note, I get a bang out of the names people have for their businesses down here. Today I saw P.U. Septic Systems, Barton's Boozery, and a hair salon called Curl Up and Dye! I could have been so much more creative with my business!

No comments:

Post a Comment