Mesa to Pitt 2015

Mesa to Pitt 2015
Mesa to OBX

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Crystal Beach to Galveston Island State Park - March 4

March 4, 27.21 in 2:42. I got a pre 9am start on a beautiful, 70 degree day to try to beat the wind advisory that was posted for today. The wind in question, was going to be a headwind, of course, so I thought I would get an early start. The plan was only to go 30 miles to the other side of Galveston, because we wanted to spend some time in the Galveston area. I also wasn't sure how long the ferry trip along the Galveston Bay was going to take. It was only about a twelve mile ride to the ferry, including a little side trip through the town of Port Bolivar. When I arrived at the ferry, I rode right on and had no wait at all. The ferry only rolls once an hour, so that was fortunate, and there was no time wasted. The ride was pretty quick, but I got soaked by the first wave that hit the front of the ship. The Gulf was pretty angry because of the wind, and a crewman sent me to the front so I could be the first one off. There was just one thing he didn't mention........
As soon as I got off on the Galveston side, I noticed that the wind was a little calmer, thank goodness. Galveston, started out rather residential, but as soon as I turned onto Seawall Blvd, it turned into a beach town gearing up for spring break. There were still signs of hurricane damage, many empty lots, but mostly just a crazy looking beach town. It had similarities to Ocean City, Atlantic City, Va Beach, etc. The Seawall was about ten miles long, and I remember watching video of the water breaking up over it on the weather channel. The road was wide, and the traffic light, so I had my run of the place, checking out everything as I rode through the town. I had about a five mile ride to Galveston Island State Park, where we decided to camp for two nights. We spent most of the afternoon checking out a nearby town called Jamaica Beach, and strolling through the state park grounds.

Today was a day filled with firsts with the new motorhome.  I got to load it onto the ferry (it was almost filled and they squeezed me on), I got to go along a beach road  with lots of lights and crazy drivers, and I got to back into my site.  Now, I've done this all with the Pace Arrow, but now it was with the Big Girl!
When I checked into to the campground, the ranger informed me that when I walked from the campsite to the beach, I should stay on the pathway and not walk through the dunes.  She said that the rattlesnakes hung out in the high grass on the dunes!  Oh goody!!!

Actually, I was leaving it.....

Lighthouse at Port Bolivar

You have to have a sense of humor when dealing with these hurricanes!

On the ferry


Still haven't recovered from Ike....

Pleasure Park along the seawall in Galveston.

Memorial to the victims of the 1900 Galveston hurricane
You thought I was joking!!!

Our campground



No comments:

Post a Comment