Mesa to Pitt 2015

Mesa to Pitt 2015
Mesa to OBX

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Nov. 13 Jacksonville to St Augustine Beach.  I rode 73 miles in a little over 5 hours. It was just a beautiful, scenic ride with great weather and the wind at my back. It was about 20 miles from N Jacksonville to a ferry thet crossed the St Johns River at Mayport, and I picked up A1A there. I probably should have checked out Mayport a little closer, but the rest of the ride made up for any scenery I might have missed.  Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach and Jacksonville Beach were excellent looking vacation beaches, but the real scenery started as I hit Ponte Vedra Blvd. It went for miles and miles and redefined what I thought wealth was. Just about every property was a gated mansion. I alsorode past the entrance to Sawgrass golf course, which is famous in PGA golf circles.  The rest of  the trip was through a nature reserve area into, and through St Augustine.   A1A  is a great ride with very little traffic, absolutely no trucks, and a good shoulder. It is definitely the way to go.
     Nov 14-15. We spent  two days touring St Augustine, which we have been to before. It was nice, but expensive as hell. You had to pay to tour each venue.  I toured a museum, which I have NEVER really done before. I gotta be careful or I might start getting some culture.  We also checked out a building that used to be the Ponce de Leon Hotel, now a fancy college called Flagler, which in my mind I tried to confuse with Faber College of Animal House fame.  They were as far apart as they could be,  but I entertained myself trying to picture John Belushi starting a food fight in the dining hall that had millions of dollars of Tiffany stained glass in the windows, and a Sistine Chapel type ceiling painted with gold plated paint or something like that.  So much for my culture gathering!

No comments:

Post a Comment