Mesa to Pitt 2015

Mesa to Pitt 2015
Mesa to OBX

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Williams to Grand Canyon Village May 19

Sunday, May 19---60.14 in 5:06. I got out of Williams in great weather, a little cool, and a wind out of the west. I was headed north on Arizona 64, so that west wind was in my ear hole the whole way. It really wasn't too much of a factor though. AZ 64 has only a four foot shoulder, and traffic became worse as the day went on. That means that I was paying attention to traffic more than I like, and not so much at the scenery. The first 30 miles was rolling with a descent of 600 ft. The second 30 miles was rolling with an ascent of a little over 1000 ft. By the time I got to the campground, we were right at 7000 ft. Breathing was not difficult and my legs felt pretty good, considering that I really haven't been riding much, and I definitely have not been at 7000 ft. Las Vegas also put a few pounds on me somehow. I got to the campground just in time to shower and watch the Penguins and the Senators play double overtime in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Pam went for a little bike ride while waiting for me and finally got to see a bunch of elk wandering near the road in the park.


This was passing thru Williams AZ while we were leaving town.





Mystery skeleton with little red flowers


Getting close to Grand Canyon




Elks that were feeding off the trees.  They still had velvet on their antlers.


GIANT fireplace in Hermit's Rest

So big it takes 2 pictures!

Some local wild life!


Hermit's Rest building on the South Rim

Entrance to the Hermit's Rest on the South Rim of Grand Canyon


Two big elks were having lunch outside the back country information building!  They ignored us tourists taking pictures!





Check out the velvet on this big boy!

Who me?  There were elk all over the park on the South Rim

Looking at the sunset from the South Rim of Grand Canyon

Going

Gone

No comments:

Post a Comment