Mesa to Pitt 2015

Mesa to Pitt 2015
Mesa to OBX

Sunday, June 3, 2018

June 3,2018 Sayre, OK to Weatherford, OK

65 miles. They should call the Mother Road (US66), the Meandering Road. I followed 66 for the entire length of today's ride, and even though it very nearly parallels I 40, except where it goes into the main street of towns, it's all over the place, compared to the more modern Interstate. The interstate is mildly rolling through this area, but 66 was way more up and down. I climbed about 2000 ft today, and I bet it would have been half of that if I was riding I 40. One nice thing about 66 however, is that most of it was concrete, not chip seal like in Texas. It made for nice pedaling. The original parts of the road were not only narrow, but each side had a little curb like edge, which I think would keep water from draining off during rain.
Other random observations include: the runs are not washes any more. They actually have water in them. The grass is also green, and the main crop seams to be wheat. Of course, there are lots of cows, but not in the cow pens like in Texas. All these things began to change at the state line. Nothing against Texas or New Mexico, but things have definitely changed for the better. Now, we watch for storms that could include tornadoes.
The wind was supposed to be more of a factor today than it was. I had a headwind all day, and I adjusted my attitude about it, and just dealt with it. It really wasn't bad, but it did slow my pace.
When I left Sayre, it was about 15 miles and I was in Elk City, another 5 and I was in Canute,  20 more and I was in Clinton, 20 more and I was in Weatherton. The towns are becoming closer together and more populous as we get closer to Oklahoma City and then Tulsa. I really think I have the tough part of this trip in the bag. Now I need the cooperation of the wind, the storms, and my bike ( mechanically) .

No comments:

Post a Comment