Mesa to Pitt 2015

Mesa to Pitt 2015
Mesa to OBX

Saturday, June 2, 2018

June 2, 2018 Cancelled due to weather and broken bike!

With the wind forcasted to be 25-45 mph headwind, we decided to batten down and enjoy a day off. I don't think the wind ever reached those 35-45 mph number, but it was still blowing, and it would not have been fun. Plus, have a pretty good sunburn on my arms and lips that I'm trying to keep under control. Windburn wouldn't help.  I think I slept ten hours, and Pam woke me up to call a bike shop in Elk City, 15 miles northeast( into the wind). I got Jeff, at Garage Bicycle Works, named because he literally is working out of the garage of his home while he builds a shop near a bike trail near his home. We drove the bike up to him on the back of the Jeep, and he was very helpful in getting an axle  ( that wasn't bent) for my back wheel, getting the proper shims that were missing from the axle assembly, and straightening the bent brake shoes holder. He had the proper Park tools to straighten things out and seemed more than happy to do so. and, he only wanted five dollars as payment. U gotta be kidding! I gave him a $20 and a handshake. So he gave me two really cool Southwest Oklahoma Bike Club t shirts. It turns out that his day job is in the gas industry, and he has worked in Barnsville, Ohio, and biked in Wheeling. Small world.
While we were in town we visited the Rt66 Museum that was in town, and went shopping at Walmart for groceries and other Walmart things. I really liked the town overall, as it was clean, modern, and friendly.
On another note, I forgot to mention another bike shop I stopped into in Tucumcari, New Mexico. I needed a tire put on a rim, and I couldn't do it because of my wrists. He did it for free, and gave me, once again for free, a valve extender because the valve stem in some tubes aren't long enough for the rim design I have in my front wheel. Just another nice guy that likes helping people, and makes his real money at another job. He owned the B-Digitty bike shop right on RT 66...I definitely wanted to give him a shout-out also. I do meet some really good people on these adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment