Mesa to Pitt 2015

Mesa to Pitt 2015
Mesa to OBX

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

June 12, 2018, Sullivan, MO to Euricka, MO

37.44 miles. I worked overtime yesterday, so we could have an easy day at the KOA, hit the pool, and relax before taking on downtown St Louis tommorow. RT 66 pretty much followed closely to I 44, with some side trips through small towns. It began rolling, as usual, but there was nothing serious to test my beat up legs. I took it easy, and gradually got my wheels back, especially as things leveled out. About half way through the ride, 66 descended into the Borboeuse River valley, which I had never heard of. I crossed the bridge and began a long, gentle climb out of the valley. The shoulder was really wide for 66, and the busy traffic was not an issue. The road peaked out at Gray's Summit, which would be the highest point on the trip. Then the fun started. The long downhill ended with a nice level ride through the town of Pacific. The shoulder of the road in town was not real clean, and you guessed it, flat tire number six. It was a very slow leak, and I just pumped it up and tried to go as far as I could before I needed to do it again. I pumped it up one more time, and the town of Pacific blended into the town of Eureka, after a short ride along some bluffs, similar to the ones I saw on the KATY Trail, which is a bit north of here. As soon as I saw the Eureka city limits sign, the KOA appeared, before the main part of the town. Six Flags amusement park is only a mile or two away, but I didn't even know it. Pam and I hit the pool for a few hours, during the hottest part of the day, with about ten of our closest  juvenile friends and their families.
At about five o'clock, we cleaned up a little and went into town to hit a bike shop to get a tube, and eat at a sports bar, before calling it a night. The bike tech thinks I've been getting flats because the rim trim between the metal rim and the tube was crinkled up. He worked on it, and hopefully got it straightened out.

No comments:

Post a Comment