Mesa to Pitt 2015

Mesa to Pitt 2015
Mesa to OBX

Saturday, May 19, 2018

May19, 2018 Lordsburg NM to Deming NM

60.73 miles.  I've done this trip four times now. Once east to west (that was crazy), and this is the third time west to east. I always thought that it was a desolate piece of travel, but it really isn't. Their is a rest area 20 miles into the ride (all done on I 10, just like every mile since Tucson), I had lunch 37 miles into the ride at a Dairy Queen (with my bride) at Butterfield Station ( a tourist trap, rest area type of place), five miles down the road their was another truck stop (Petro), and a few miles after that I was in Deming. Even though I climbed over the Continental divide today ( and there was a mild  20 mile ascent,) it was barely noticeable. The wind was my friend, and I was going 20 mph at times. The shoulder was excellent except for a few spots near the towns on each end of the ride. There was a constant accompanyment of trains....I think I counted over ten, including one Amtrak. I counted 143 cars on one train, which breaks my record of 124  cars set a few days ago. I don't count cars in every passing train, but the temptation is always there. I 10 and the tracks have pretty much been parallel since Tucson.  There was always something to look at, unlike the way I felt in my previous posts about this ride, when I was just a plebe. Now I have the perspective of a grizzled veteran, but enough about that.
I am looking forward to getting off the interstate, and doing some other roads, but I may be sorry I said that, when I lose my tailwind, my slipstreams, my wide shoulders, and pick up hills, dogs, narrow curves, local drivers who don't know what I am, rough roads,  and all he other stuff that makes this an adventure. I'll get back to ya on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment