Mesa to Pitt 2015

Mesa to Pitt 2015
Mesa to OBX

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

May 30, 2018 Tucumcari, NM to Oasis RV resort, just west of Amarillo, Texas.

101.2 miles. I was so anxious to get going, that I was up at 5:30 a.m., and in the saddle at 6. There were several reasons for the early start. I wanted to ride before the heat of the day, there was going to be a headwind, and I was going to lose an hour at the Texas state line, when we cross into the Central Time zone.
Do you know what is harder than doing 100 miles in seven hours? Doing 100 miles in 10 hours. The wind was blowing the correct direction for the last four days, while I was grounded, but today it shifted and blew out of the east. When I started so early, it was 57 degrees, and the wind was mild, but it was still a headwind. As the day went on, the heat turned up, as did the wind.  After 52 miles, Pam met me at a rest area for lunch and a good soak down. I was still feeling pretty good at that point.  I had just entered Texas, after 550 miles, just in the state of New Mexico. I was worried about the quality of the road in Texas because they are famous for that huge chip seal that rattles my butt and slows me down, but there was no need to worry. I was on interstate 40, for the entire trip, and the shoulder was really good in New Mexico, but it was excellent in Texas. The shoulder was new concrete almost all the way to our destination.
After leaving Pam and my lunch break,  I had my most significant climb, up to a mesa that contains a huge wind farm. The Wildorado wind farm was to my north for almost 40 miles, and contains 161 wind turbines, according to Wikipedia. And the wind was blowing, right in my face. A very gradual descent didn't help much, and that stretch really beat me up. I was pretty happy to pull into the Rv Park, after a full day.

No comments:

Post a Comment