Mesa to Pitt 2015

Mesa to Pitt 2015
Mesa to OBX

Monday, April 28, 2014

Bicycling from Bardstown KY to Kentucky Horse Farm Campground inLexington KY April 27-28

April 27.....75 miles in 7:00 hrs.....Bright sun and light headwinds greeted me as I walked out the door, but they have been talking about rain and nasty weather for a few days now. One more day, of riding, and I may get a weather break. I have ridden 30 out of the last 34 days, since leaving Tombstone, Arizona, 1,910 miles ago. My total mileage for the trip is now at 15,229.09 miles, and I'm starting to lose a few pounds, also.
US62 took me three miles  from the campground down into town, past the Barton Distillery, where Pam toured yesterday, past the Old Talbot Tavern, where we ate, and around the traffic circle that surrounded the county courthouse, and out of town to the east. Once out of town, it reverted to its old form, with no shoulders, but on a Sunday morning, there was no traffic either, so it was a pleasant ride that rolled up and down, gradually getting to 800 and above 900 ft in elevation. So now, I am really in the hills of Kentucky. I did a lot of ridge riding, which helped flatten it out a little, but I had a total elevation gain today of over 3500 ft, usually in quick bumps, not the long, drawn out, barely perceptible  climbs of the plain states. My gears and gear cables are really getting a workout in these hills. I have not had a bike problem, not even a flat, for a long time, but the conditions in the Appalachians from here to home will test anything that is wearing out.
My first town of any consequence was Bloomfield, and as I rode through this quiet country town, all the churches were either in session, or were just letting out. US62 continued to ride through farm country, and the majority of the road was residential or small ranches. As I came into Lawrenceburg, a little over half way, 62 went right through the heart of town. On the east end, on the top of a hill, I came to the Wild Turkey Distillery, in a very scenic setting. The distillery was closed because it was Sunday, so I couldn't smell the smooth, flowery aroma of the bourbon making process that was present in Bardstown. The road was still part of the Bourbon Trail, and this was the second distillery we've seen of the six in the area. One of the crazy things is that I haven't seen so much as a tavern of any sort in the towns I've been in, from the furthest western edge of Kentucky to Bardstown. Not a single beer neon in a window. I heard that you can't even buy the bourbon at some of the distilleries, but you have to go to a different county where its legal. The University of Kentucky is even a dry campus. 
Anyhow, I flew down my biggest hill, right after passing the distillery, crossed a neat river, which I think was the Kentucky River, and had a major climb back up to 900 ft.
From there, the homes started becoming VERY nice, the ranches bigger, the finely manicured lawns were 3-4 acres, and I could tell  I was getting into horse country, and the money that resides there. US 62 wound through this beautiful country to the town of Versailles, where US 62 met back up with US 60, which I will follow out of the state. At that point however, I didn't take that road, my GPS girl took me from Versailles to the Kentucky Horse Farm, which is north of Lexington. It was some of the most beautiful country I've ridden in, with fences that were miles long, stone walls, multimillion dollar stables, not to mention the homes themselves, and the whole place oozed with horse tradition and horse money. Surprisingly, when I would stop to take a picture, the horses would come over towards me, almost friendly like. But I know what they wanted, and if I had any sugar cubes, I would have eaten them, by this point in the ride. Pam was set up at the Kentucky Horse Park Campground, and it was fortunate that we got there on a Sunday night, because the place was packed with thousands of people for a Rolex sponsored 3 day horse event. By the time I got there, the place was pretty emptied out, but all the tents were still set up, and I could tell the place had been hopping. 

April 28....the weather that had been forecast for a week now, finally caught up with us. It started raining around dark last night, and continued, on and off all day. A good day to be a vegetable and get some legs back. We are fortunate to be where we are because tornadoes and some serious weather has been blowing through Tornado Alley, including some of the places we have come through in the last two weeks.


Approximately 19,000 barrels of bourbon are in each of these buildings and there are maybe 20 buildings!

Mike attended mass (which also had a first communion mass) at this church in Bardstown.

The old county courthouse and visitors center inside a traffic circle in Bardstown

The old Talbott Inn where Abe Lincoln, Danial Boone, Pam and Mike Rose dined (not all at the same time)

More bourbon storage

Getting closer to serious horse country

Self proclaimed redneck - that's not Mike's bike, but a redneck bike!

Winding Kentucky roads

Sunday afternoon traffic in Kentucky horse country!

Another original name!

Veterans Memorial in Lawrenceburg, KY

County courthouse

No tours on a Sunday!!! In Lawrenceburg, KY

The distillery

Wild Turkey water tower

Wild Turkey grain elevator

Train bridge over a huge hollow

US 62 went under the bridge.  Distillery warehouses are visible on top of hill

County courthouse in Versailles, KY

Horse farms everywhere!














Bike thinks he's a war horse too!!!



Entrance to Kentucky Horse Park

This fancy little outdoor area was for the big money people so they could watch the cross country portion of the Rolex 3 day event


Statue of horse and rider going over a jump

Monument in honor of Secretariat

And the famous Man o' War - his embalmed remains are buried under here 

And of course in between rain storms on Monday, Mike and I went to have a little fun at the kids barn!



And always a winner!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment