Mesa to Pitt 2015

Mesa to Pitt 2015
Mesa to OBX

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

training scenery on the outer banks































The above pictures are of the scenery that I ride thru every day.  The wind or sun is sometimes brutal, and it is difficult riding the same roads every day, but whenever my quads are on fire or the ride seems long, I just stop pedaling, coast for a few seconds, and suck in the uniqueness and the beauty.  I have about 1600 miles of riding on  Highway 12 now, which is more than the distance from here to key west, which is our Christmas destination. My legs are strong and I feel the transcontinental ride is a surmountable  challenge.  Cross training on the island has included paddleboarding, ocean kayaking, parasailing, and alot of recovery time on the beach with a margarita, doing active retirement things, like watching for pelicans and dolphins! 
The longest I have ridden is about 85 miles, as I am trying to exercise restraint, and just train, not hurt these old, fragile knees. My most unique ride has probably been the one to nags head to get a root canal, then the return trip.  The bike is starting to show signs of wear, and I have already replaced a tire after two flats. The front gear shifter isnt working, and that is being ordered in kitty hawk tomorrow, but overall, the bike is doing really well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment