Mesa to Pitt 2015

Mesa to Pitt 2015
Mesa to OBX

Friday, September 25, 2015

April 27...a day off in Kingman Kansas..

I needed a day off, as demonstrated by the fact that I woke at about ten o'clock. I took some time and faced the 50 degree temperatures and 30 mph winds to take a walk to downtown Kingman, which is probably about a half mile west of my motel. It is a typical Kansas small town, with a 'main street' made of brick, coming perpendicular off the main road through town, in this case, US 54. I walked past all the mom and pop shops, and I found the grain elevator on the outskirts of town, near the Ninnescah  River, which I have been following since Pratt. Then after returning, to my room, I watched a depressing movie about growing old on HBO, even though I didn't catch the name of it.  Then I channel surfed until I came to CNN, where there is what I have to call historic coverage of riots in downtown Baltimore. The reporters were right in the middle of the action, there was looting and burning, and there was no police action. I think this is going to be in the news for quite a while.

I spoke to Pam several times about the condition of her dad back in Canonsburg, and concern for him dominated the day. I am also hoping that this day off will bring my legs back, enough to tackle the wind into and through Witchita tomorrow.

Downtown Kingman

My motel

About the Katy Trail

No comments:

Post a Comment